Saturday 21 July 2012

3 weeks in..

Cape of Good Hope: Cape Town, South Africa
At this point in my journey, I already feel like I am a South African. Somewhere between being a tourist and being a student I have grown comfortable in this place we call "the motherland," nearly 9,000 miles from home.

Culture shock? Not really. Because even in Africa I am classified as "black," and consequently I occupy the lowest spot on this racist totem pole (beneath the "whites" and the "coloreds"). In this post-apartheid society, being black is really not much different from being black in America. However, as soon as I begin to speak and people hear my accent they realize that I am American, and their whole opinion of me changes. Although being black is least desirable, Africans view us Americans as being greater than them in a sense because we come from the land of freedom, opportunity, and the pursuit of happiness. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

My first week in South Africa proved to be one that I will never forget, as well as my second.. and my third. I have experienced so many adventures and seen so many beautiful places.

I have never felt this free before!