Wednesday 17 October 2012

Springtime in Cape Town.

The Company Gardens in Cape Town
South Africa has started to feel a little too comfortable. I've gotten used to my daily routine: wake up, eat, class, eat, homework, eat, sleep, REPEAT. My lifestyle here is not much different from my college lifestyle in the United States, and as the end of the semester approaches and I am greeted by the warm sun and flowers of springtime each day, I am getting more and more exhausted with the monotony of my every day activities. Because of this (and because it was my birthday), I have been feeling a sudden urge to get up and go exploring! I seem to be a little more adventurous than some of the other members in my group, so it's hard to get people to go along with my crazy ideas, such as skydiving, abseiling, or kloofing; nonetheless, for the past few days, me and some of my group members have gone into town, to the waterfront, and to the beach to experience some of the Cape Town attractions that we often forget about being stuck in the bubble of University of the Western Cape (my school).

Howard students with our waiter @ GOLD


FINE DINING: On Friday, some of the members of my Howard University study abroad group surprised me by taking me to an authentic African cuisine restaurant, GOLD. There we enjoyed a 15 course meal (needless to say I was stuffed). There were entertainers who came around to perform different African songs and dances for us, and they pulled me up to dance with them, which was really fun! Oh, and they sang Happy Birthday to me and gave me a birthday shot!




Waterfront Boat Ride
CAPE TOWN: Going into town is always  a wonderful experience, especially when the weather is lovely. This trip to Cape Town consisted of a stop at the "flea market," a visit to the South African Museum, and a nice stroll through The Company Gardens.

WATERFRONT: Taking a trip to waterfront was exciting due to the various street performers and attractions. Me and mi amigo danced to the sounds of the African band that was playing, took a short boat cruise around the area (it was windy, so we couldn't take the long cruise), and ended the night dining at a nice, Italian restaurant by the water.

BEACH: Growing up in Virginia Beach, I have always deemed myself a "beach girl,"so once it got warm enough to make the trip to the nearest beach in Cape Town I definitely did not hesitate. Although it was far too cold to get into the water, I had a wonderful time sitting on the sand and listening to the waves crash with some of my lady friends.

"IN SPRINGTIME, LOVE IS CARRIED ON THE BREEZE. WATCH OUT FOR FLYING PASSION OR KISSES WHIZZING BY YOUR HEAD"